Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Flatter lens for the GoPro!

We are gonna be back at AbleCine later  this week to play with their steadicam as we wait for ours to arrive.  I will post some footage that we shoot at the store as we play around - it should be pretty incredible - shooting at the store that is -- but I am not so sure it will be so steady, we still have to get our training.


But more to the point of this post, our latest addition to the GoPro just arrived - a GoPro Flat lens by BlurFX which will work underwater as well.  I might attach it to the skeleton case - which is more audio friendly than the air tight under water case - as I love to have the audio from the GoPro NOT get muffled for run and gun shooting and as a backup audio track when shooting local live music events for FlyMusicMan.  We usually prefer getting separate audio from a digitial audio recorder and sync it up later as we edit but its nice to have the standalone clips have good audio too - so if you have a lens that has to mount to a case, I am choosing audio over submergibility.  This lens allows you to use standard filters as well.  COOL.  

So this little puppy will definitely give me more creative options out of the GoPro.  And since we are insisting on using 24 fps the GoPro is forced to shoot at 48fps, wide angle only and a resolution of 1280 x 960.  So tempted to switch to 30 fps to get full 1920 x 1080 but I would rather buy a better camera instead of giving up on my beloved 23.976 fps.

I have even considered shooting in PAL, which the GoPro will do 1920 x 1080 at 25 fps and let the internet figure it out.  But then I would be stuck with PAL masters.  (I am in the USA)  Or one could convert the PAL to 24 fps by slowing the framerate by one fps and slowing down the audio by that amount - but you see what I mean, just buy a better camera that shoots the pro format.  Sort of like hating ice cubes in your beer and all you need to do is buy a bigger refrigerator - just do it, beer is life and so is 23.98.

And to that, I have some breaking news about out next camera - it is gonna be great.  STAY TUNED.  A new camera already?  We haven't even started talking about the VIXIA yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment